What is Chondroitin Sulfate?
Chondroitin sulfate is a sulfated glycosaminoglycan (GAG) and a significant component of cartilage. GAGs are intricate polysaccharides most often found in connective tissues. They are a critical component of cell growth, collagen synthesis, wound healing, and more. The body also uses GAGs to lubricate joints and cushion them from shock.
Potential Benefits of Chondroitin Sulfate
Chondroitin is a slow-acting supplement that accumulates in the joints over time. Studies found most participants noticed improvements in their joint health after taking chondroitin supplements for 4-8 weeks.
Chondroitin Supplements for Joint Support
The most notable use of chondroitin supplement is for joint health. Joint pain is a prevalent problem that worsens with age. Cartilage thins and loses its resiliency as the body ages. Joints become inflamed, stiff, and painful without this cushion to act as a shock absorber.
Chondroitin is one of the primary building blocks of cartilage, and it helps promote the synthesis of other cartilage compounds. Increasing the availability of these compounds helps to reduce cartilage breakdown. Chondroitin sulfate also helps cartilage resist compression, which improves joint mobility and flexibility.
Chondroitin sulfate may also provide joint pain relief due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Reducing joint inflammation may relieve pressure and pain symptoms while simultaneously improving joint performance.
Chondroitin and Glucosamine
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) Synergy
The combination of chondroitin and glucosamine also synergizes with MSM. MSM is another potent anti-inflammatory that helps reduce free radical damage, repair connective tissues, and support joint health.
Many individuals opt to take chondroitin and glucosamine together as they synthesize to maximize joint health benefits. Glucosamine is another cartilage-synthesizing compound that may improve joint function and reduce joint pain. Where chondroitin reduces cartilage breakdown, glucosamine slows collagen degradation. Taking chondroitin and glucosamine further enhances both supplements’ anti-inflammatory properties.
Potential Side Effects of Chondroitin Sulfate
Most individuals do not experience any problems when taking chondroitin supplements. Some individuals may experience mild stomach discomfort (e.g., nausea, bloating, and constipation).
Chondroitin is a natural anticoagulant that may interact with certain medications. Individuals with blood disorders, taking blood thinners, or taking aspirin should consult a physician before starting chondroitin supplements.
How to Store Chondroitin Supplements
Keep chondroitin supplements in a cool, dry area away from sunlight. To maximize the shelf life of chondroitin, reseal the product after each use.
Bioavailability, Mixing, and Solubility of Chondroitin Sulfate
Chondroitin supplements readily dissolve in water and have a high bioavailability. Individuals can take chondroitin with or without meals. However, taking chondroitin supplements with food may reduce the likelihood of stomach discomfort.
Purity and Concentration of Chondroitin Sulfate
PureBulk's chondroitin sulfate powder is extracted from bovine trachea cartilage and is assayed by the manufacturer to contain at least 90% chondroitin sulfate. The remaining 10% is collagen material from the extraction process. There are no additives, fillers, or anti-caking agents.
Tested by Accredited 3rd Party Labs
PureBulk's supplements are tested by accredited third party labs in the USA to ensure their identity, purity and potency. To receive a copy of these test results or any other PureBulk supplement please fill out the COA request form found here.